Identifying New External Hard Drive
Rich Shepard
2007-07-21 21:50:17 UTC
I have a new 40G 2.5" hard drive that I've put in an external enclosure
and want to prepare for use. It's connected via a USB cable, but
/var/log/messages does not seem to recognize that new hardware is present.

Before I run mkfs.ext3 on the drive, I need to identify it and mount it.
How do I identify a clean drive, and how do I specify a filesystem type when
I mount it?

Rich
--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Accelerator(TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com> Voice: 503-667-4517 Fax: 503-667-8863
William A Morita
2007-07-21 22:04:37 UTC
Rich,

Try running "fdisk -l" to see if the new drive shows up.
Once you have drive device (e.g. /dev/sd? ) you can use fdisk to setup the
partition table.
Then you run mkfs.ext on the a partition on the drive.

- Bill Morita

wamorita at hevanet.com
Home: (503) 697-6994
Cell: (503) 260-3876

Rich Shepard
2007-07-21 22:42:29 UTC
Post by William A Morita
Try running "fdisk -l" to see if the new drive shows up.
That didn't show me anything; should have mentioned that I tried it. I
think it would be found if on an internal bus.

Thanks,

Rich
John Jason Jordan
2007-07-21 22:06:20 UTC
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 14:50:17 -0700 (PDT)
Post by Rich Shepard
I have a new 40G 2.5" hard drive that I've put in an external enclosure
and want to prepare for use. It's connected via a USB cable, but
/var/log/messages does not seem to recognize that new hardware is present.
Before I run mkfs.ext3 on the drive, I need to identify it and mount it.
How do I identify a clean drive, and how do I specify a filesystem type when
I mount it?
I thought you had to run mkfs on an unmounted drive. And once you have
a filesystem on it, then it should be recognized. I think.
Kenneth B. Hill
2007-07-21 22:14:17 UTC
Can you access other hardware from the USB port that the external
hard drive is connecting through? Try popping in a USB thumb drive
and see if that is detected. Some external hard drives have drivers
that need to be installed; they will come with a CD/DVD installation
disk which is most likely for Windows and/or Mac OS's.

-Ken
Post by Rich Shepard
I have a new 40G 2.5" hard drive that I've put in an external enclosure
and want to prepare for use. It's connected via a USB cable, but
/var/log/messages does not seem to recognize that new hardware is present.
Before I run mkfs.ext3 on the drive, I need to identify it and mount it.
How do I identify a clean drive, and how do I specify a filesystem type when
I mount it?
Rich
--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | The Environmental
Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Accelerator(TM)
503-667-8863
Rich Shepard
2007-07-21 22:45:42 UTC
Can you access other hardware from the USB port that the external hard
drive is connecting through?
Yes. I use that for the thumb drive and syncing my PDA.
Try popping in a USB thumb drive and see if
that is detected. Some external hard drives have drivers that need to be
installed; they will come with a CD/DVD installation disk which is most
likely for Windows and/or Mac OS's.
No, this guy arrived by itself in a sealed plastic bag. I was going to put
it in my Toshiba Portege, but finally decided that however much I like that
small, light notebook, it's too slow and has too little RAM (96M max) to be
really useful. So, I'll use the drive for backup, extra storage, and
transporting applications.

Thanks,

Rich
Kenneth B. Hill
2007-07-21 22:54:35 UTC
This sounds like the external hard-drive can't communicate with your
computer; hence, it sounds like a driver issue. Have you tried
powering down both the computer and external hard drive. Then power
them up together? I know this may sound a bit simplistic.

Is this a new external hard drive? Usually they come with a CD/DVD
for use with Windows/Mac computers.

Is it a new hard drive or an external hard drive that you are
connecting through a USB port on your computer? I'm a bit confused by
your correspondence below.
Rich Shepard
2007-07-21 23:08:02 UTC
Have you tried powering down both the computer and external hard drive.
Then power them up together? I know this may sound a bit simplistic.
Er, no. I don't power down my server/workstation. It ain't Microsoft. :-)
Is this a new external hard drive? Usually they come with a CD/DVD for use
with Windows/Mac computers.
Is it a new hard drive or an external hard drive that you are connecting
through a USB port on your computer? I'm a bit confused by your
correspondence below.
This is a new 2.5" hard drive I was going to use in a notebook. It is in
an enclosure I bought last week at ENU.

I think it may be a power issue. I just hooked up the oversize IBM
Travelstar to the Bytecc adapter, and it was seen immediately. I can mount
/dev/sda1, 2, or 3 and read/write to those filesystems.

I'll try the new drive on this adapter.

Rich
Kenneth B. Hill
2007-07-21 23:16:32 UTC
OK. I think I understand. You are replacing your hard drive in a
notebook computer. Your comments about never powering down a a server/
workstation caught me off-guard as I'm not familiar with using
notbook computers as servers or workstations. It sounds like you are
on the right track with the power issue.
Robert Citek
2007-07-21 22:54:17 UTC
Post by Rich Shepard
I have a new 40G 2.5" hard drive that I've put in an external enclosure
and want to prepare for use. It's connected via a USB cable, but
/var/log/messages does not seem to recognize that new hardware is present.
If the drive isn't being recognized, it could be a jumper issue (very
tiny jumpers). For example, I can connect my Travelstar laptop drive
via an external laptop connection, but only if it's jumpered as master,
which is no jumper. You may want to try Master, Slave, CS, and none.

Another issue could be that the drive is not getting enough power over
USB. That is, you may have to plug is some kind of power supply, which
should have come with the enclosure.

Let us know what you discover.

Regards,
- Robert
Kenneth B. Hill

Rich Shepard
2007-07-21 23:09:10 UTC
If the drive isn't being recognized, it could be a jumper issue (very tiny
jumpers). For example, I can connect my Travelstar laptop drive via an
external laptop connection, but only if it's jumpered as master, which is
no jumper. You may want to try Master, Slave, CS, and none.
No jumper. Master drive.
Another issue could be that the drive is not getting enough power over
USB. That is, you may have to plug is some kind of power supply, which
should have come with the enclosure.
This little enclosure did not come with a power supply; the Bytecc --
which works with naked drives -- does.

Rich
Rich Shepard
2007-07-21 23:34:59 UTC
Post by Robert Citek
Let us know what you discover.
Insufficient power out of that USB port. On the Bytecc adapter I created a
single partition and am now creating the filesystem.

So, I'll need to find a wallwart that will provide power to the case. I
know it's 5V, but I'll have to check the drive label and the Bytecc case to
see what amperage it wants.

Kewel! Now I have an extra 50G (40G Fujitsu and 10G IBM) I can carry
around with me. That's a heck of a lot of storage!

Rich
Robert Citek
2007-07-23 03:15:53 UTC
Post by Rich Shepard
Post by Robert Citek
Let us know what you discover.
Insufficient power out of that USB port. On the Bytecc adapter I
created a single partition and am now creating the filesystem.
So, I'll need to find a wallwart that will provide power to the case.
I know it's 5V, but I'll have to check the drive label and the Bytecc
case to see what amperage it wants.
If a single USB port doesn't provide enough power, is there a device
that "joins" two USB ports into one? That is, it will draw power from
both USB ports.

Just curious.

Regards,
- Robert
John Jason Jordan
2007-07-23 03:57:40 UTC
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:15:53 -0700
Post by Robert Citek
If a single USB port doesn't provide enough power, is there a device
that "joins" two USB ports into one? That is, it will draw power from
both USB ports.
There certainly does exist such a cable. I can say that with great
certitude because I am looking at one on my desk as I type this. It has
two standard USB plugs on one end, and the other end has a mini-USB
plug. It came with a portable USB drive that takes the mini-USB plug.
Robert Citek
2007-07-24 13:44:21 UTC
Post by Robert Citek
If a single USB port doesn't provide enough power, is there a device
that "joins" two USB ports into one? That is, it will draw power from
both USB ports.
There certainly does exist such a cable. I can say that with great
certitude because I am looking at one on my desk as I type this. It has
two standard USB plugs on one end, and the other end has a mini-USB
plug. It came with a portable USB drive that takes the mini-USB plug.
Anyone know what such a cable/adapter is called so that I can google for
it and buy one?

Regards,
- Robert
Ken Hill
2007-07-24 15:24:45 UTC
Post by Robert Citek
If a single USB port doesn't provide enough power, is there a device
that "joins" two USB ports into one? That is, it will draw power from
both USB ports.
There certainly does exist such a cable. I can say that with great
certitude because I am looking at one on my desk as I type this. It has
two standard USB plugs on one end, and the other end has a mini-USB
plug. It came with a portable USB drive that takes the mini-USB plug.
Anyone know what such a cable/adapter is called so that I can google for
it and buy one?
Regards,
- Robert
You can get a USB hub that add additional USB ports from one USB port on
your computer. The hub has its own power supply. Belkin makes one.
Robert Citek
2007-07-24 15:29:06 UTC
Post by Ken Hill
Post by Robert Citek
Anyone know what such a cable/adapter is called so that I can google for
it and buy one?
You can get a USB hub that add additional USB ports from one USB port on
your computer. The hub has its own power supply. Belkin makes one.
Sure. But I'm looking for something with mobility. Now, a USB hub that
is battery powered would be cool. Same with a battery powered
wired/wireless switch/router. But I haven't seen either of those.

Regards,
- Robert
Ken Hill
2007-07-24 15:37:14 UTC
Post by Robert Citek
Post by Ken Hill
Post by Robert Citek
Anyone know what such a cable/adapter is called so that I can google for
it and buy one?
You can get a USB hub that add additional USB ports from one USB port on
your computer. The hub has its own power supply. Belkin makes one.
Sure. But I'm looking for something with mobility. Now, a USB hub that
is battery powered would be cool. Same with a battery powered
wired/wireless switch/router. But I haven't seen either of those.
Regards,
- Robert
Take a look here:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=205966

These are pretty small and look to be portable.

-Ken
John Jason Jordan
2007-07-24 15:44:13 UTC
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:24:45 -0700
Post by Ken Hill
Post by Robert Citek
If a single USB port doesn't provide enough power, is there a device
that "joins" two USB ports into one? That is, it will draw power from
both USB ports.
There certainly does exist such a cable. I can say that with great
certitude because I am looking at one on my desk as I type this. It has
two standard USB plugs on one end, and the other end has a mini-USB
plug. It came with a portable USB drive that takes the mini-USB plug.
Anyone know what such a cable/adapter is called so that I can google for
it and buy one?
Regards,
- Robert
You can get a USB hub that add additional USB ports from one USB port on
your computer. The hub has its own power supply. Belkin makes one.
That is an option, but a simple cable that has an extra connector on
one end to get power out of two ports would be cheaper and may be all
that Rober needs.

As for what they are called, I don't know. I do know that USB cables
come in a bewildering variety. There are several connector types, each
of which comes in male and female, plus specialty types like a USB to
iPod cable. They also come in different lengths and some have features
like "retractable," and so on.

I usually start looking on eBay to see what sellers there are calling
them. I've also seen them at Fry's, although I don't know if they have
a dual connector one with the specific type of connectors you need.
MJang
2007-07-21 23:00:00 UTC
Post by Rich Shepard
Before I run mkfs.ext3 on the drive, I need to identify it and mount it.
How do I identify a clean drive, and how do I specify a filesystem type when
I mount it?
Dear Rich,

If recognized by a HAL capable system, it should show up in the output
to the lsusb command. FYI, here's my output from a 120GB external drive
I have (connected to device 002)

# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0c0b:b001 Dura Micro, Inc. (Acomdata)
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

The ID would be all zeros if the drive weren't recognized. If that's
your situation, I think Ken's suggestion applies - try a USB key, and
run lsusb again.

Thanks,
Mike