[PLUG] OT: FiOS auxiliary power for BBU
Fred James
2010-02-16 18:11:22 UTC
OT: FiOS BBU auxiliary power

We lost electrical power for four days in ours due to the recent snow
Using FiOS for phone means that when the Battery Backup Unit (BBU)
battery runs down (7-8 hours) there is no more phone.

We have the CPL28U12 BBU (that is an APC number as well - same unit)
which supposedly can accept an auxiliary power supply, but I am having
difficulty identifying one and the capabilities of same.

So far all Verizon has been able to say is they don't think the aux port
is active?

Anyone?
Thank you for any help you may be able to offer
Regards
Fred James
wes
2010-02-16 18:18:14 UTC
Post by Fred James
OT: FiOS BBU auxiliary power
We lost electrical power for four days in ours due to the recent snow
Using FiOS for phone means that when the Battery Backup Unit (BBU)
battery runs down (7-8 hours) there is no more phone.
We have the CPL28U12 BBU (that is an APC number as well - same unit)
which supposedly can accept an auxiliary power supply, but I am having
difficulty identifying one and the capabilities of same.
So far all Verizon has been able to say is they don't think the aux port
is active?
Anyone?
Thank you for any help you may be able to offer
Regards
Fred James
Here's a link to the manual for the auxiliary backup unit, model number
CP20B12BP.

http://sturgeon.apcc.com/techref.nsf/partnum/990-1660/$FILE/990-1660-EN.pdf

I'm sure you could just wire up a car battery directly to the terminals if
you could tell which wire went where.

-wes
Fred James
2010-02-16 18:39:24 UTC
Post by wes
Post by Fred James
[...]
Wes
Sorry - that is a CP20B12BP - I have a CPL28U12, but I have the manual
for that and I see what you mean - but it would be me in the cross hairs
if I mess the system doing that - so I am looking for the "off the
shelf" answer first
Regards
Fred James
wes
2010-02-16 20:55:39 UTC
Post by wes
On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Fred James <fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Post by Fred James
[...]
The link I sent you is for the backup unit that is designed to plug into
what you have. My intention was not to send you the manual for the device
you already have.

-wes

Keith Lofstrom
2010-02-16 19:11:38 UTC
Post by Fred James
OT: FiOS BBU auxiliary power
We lost electrical power for four days in ours due to the recent snow
Using FiOS for phone means that when the Battery Backup Unit (BBU)
battery runs down (7-8 hours) there is no more phone.
We have the CPL28U12 BBU (that is an APC number as well - same unit)
which supposedly can accept an auxiliary power supply, but I am having
difficulty identifying one and the capabilities of same.
So far all Verizon has been able to say is they don't think the aux port
is active?
On our FIOS power supply, there is a jack for a barrel connector
that says "Auxilliary power 12V DC" coming off the BBU. I'm guessing
that could be connected to a different "12V" source, a car battery
perhaps. The barrel connector is small (4mm WAG???) and I don't
have a connector to check that with.

There is a discussion and further pointers here:
http://www.payne.org/index.php/Verizon_FiOS

Apparently, there is an auxiliary unit that extends lifetime, but
not by much.

Personally, I want to construct a BBU that keeps both phone and
internet going indefinitely. Probably plugging the whole thing
into a beefy UPS system, perhaps bypassing the unit with the wimpy
little gel cell.

Off the same UPS, I would like to be able to charge the laptops,
and keep the routers going if the power goes out for a few days.
I'm guessing 150 watts. I expect that would require a few deep
discharge marine batteries, an inverter, and my generator (with
a 12V output!) to top them off every day or so.

The problem is, the more batteries I have around, the more
maintenance needed to tend to them. To bring this on topic,
perhaps there are some open source apps that help maintain
batteries.

Keith
--
Keith Lofstrom keithl at keithl.com Voice (503)-520-1993